Friday, March 11, 2022

#159: Green Eyes

Clarissa thought she saw a shimmer in the alley as she climbed down the ladder from the roof of her apartment building. But her Ms. Megaton Man visor was in her garment bag, along with her uniform. She landed on the back stoop of her apartment and rifled through the bag; by the time she affixed the visor and scanned the alley, whatever it was she thought she saw had gone.
        She went inside the apartment, through the kitchen and into her bedroom, which was right off the hallway. The other door to her bedroom, adjacent to the living room, was open; she saw a familiar black portfolio and pages of Bristol board spread out on the coffee table; the evening news program on Social Television was on. Dr. Sax was stretching out on the oval hoop rug in front of the TV.
        Clarissa hung her uniform up in the closet and peeked out the bedroom door.
        “Chuck! Chas. I mean Chase,” she said. “What are you doing back in Detroit?”
        On cue, Clarissa’s sister Avie entered the other side of the living from her front bedroom off the foyer. She crossed in front of the television to Clarissa, meeting her at the latter’s bedroom door.
        “Shh, the genius is thumbnailing his Aquavolt script,” she whispered, pushing Clarissa back into her bedroom and deftly closing the door behind her in one motion. “A thumbnail is a tiny sketch cartoonists use to configure the panels before they draw full-size pages of art.”
        “I know what a thumbnail sketch is, Avie,” said Clarissa. “Why’s he doing it on our living room sofa? And who’s Aquavolt?”
        “I told Chase he could stay the night,” said Avie. “He’s moving back to Detroit. I guess the gig with the arthouse publisher in Wisconsin didn’t work out, or at least he’s getting assignments now from big New York publishers. What do you want for dinner?”
        “Don’t change the subject,” said Clarissa. “Doesn’t he have some other place to stay? Where’s he going to sleep? Better be your bedroom; I don’t like the idea of a former lover just crashing at our place for the night—especially someone we’ve both slept with.”
        “He’s going to sleep on the sofa,” said Avie. “Certainly not in my bedroom. Besides, I never slept with him. I just, you know …” Avie unconsciously wiped her chin with the back of her hand.
        “Oh, Christ,” said Clarissa. “How did we both get involved with a nerdy art-school dropout with no animal attraction?”
        “Chase is very talented,” said Avie. “Besides, I think he can help me on my set designs for the fall production I’m developing …”
        “Avie, taking in another lost dog. And Dr. Sax is back, too, I see. When did she show up?”
        “Funny, a red Ferrari dropped her off,” Avie replied. “But it seemed to vanish rather quickly.
        “A red …? So, that was the shimmer I saw in the alley.”
        “How’s that?”
        “Oh, Fanny and I spent the afternoon on a stakeout, casing a place where visitors from the future are staying. At least that’s what I surmise. They flew in in a black hot rod equipped with a multimensional cloaking device—a blond brother and sister and some slick black dude. But flying ships aren’t enough—they also have cool red sports car. But we lost ‘em. Must have a cloaking device, too.”
        “Alien invaders are in Detroit and you didn’t tell me?” said Avie, hurt.
        “I didn’t exactly have the chance,” said Clarissa. “Besides, I don’t want the Wondrous Warhound snooping around.”
        “Don’t worry, I’m too busy for crimefighting,” said Avie. “I’ll leave that to you professional megaheroes. I’m making chili dogs.”
        Avie went out the hallway bedroom door to the kitchen.

Clarissa went out into the living room. “So, Aquavolt, huh?” she said to Chase.
        “Yeah, it’s a good career move for me,” said Chase, scribbling away in his sketchbook. “I get to work on my penciling and storytelling craft, and get a wider audience for my work. I’ll return to Megatron Man when I get some more ideas.”
        “Well, you hang around Detroit long enough, you’ll certainly have more material.”
        Clarissa thought of the picnic Donna Blank was planning for the weekend, which was likely to draw several of their megahero friends, then thought of an idea.
        “You’re looking for a place to crash for a while? What about your brother, John?”
        “I haven’t gotten ahold of him yet; he doesn’t know I’m back in town,” said Chase. “Avie said I could stay here tonight, if that’s all right.”
        Clarissa thought of having to listen to the sounds of Avie going down on Chase that would no doubt emanate from her bedroom all night.
        “I have another idea. I have a friend out in the suburbs, big house all to herself. I’m sure if I asked her, she’d put you up for a while.”
        “I told Avie, I’ve got money; I plan to get a place down here tomorrow.”
        Clarissa gave Chase a skeptical frown.
        “Okay, I’m waiting on a check from my publisher. But after I voucher for these pencils, I’ll have plenty of money …”
        “Just as I thought—you’re broke,” said Clarissa. “The glamorous world of comic book cartooning. I’ll give Donna a call.”

It was after dark when Avie, Clarissa, Chase, and Dr. Sax arrived at Donna Blank’s house.
        “I have a sleeping bag and a cot set up down in the basement,” said Donna, as she greeted them at the front door. “If you stay here long enough, you could set up a drawing board; there’s nothing but a dehumidifier down there at the moment—and boxes of ceiling tile the last owner never put up. And if it’s material on megaheroes you’re looking for, just wait for the weekend; we’re planning a picnic.”
        “I really appreciate it,” said Chase, who still had his portfolio and suitcase in hand.
        “I’ve never been here,” said Avie. “This is cool, Donna! Let’s go find the basement, Chase.”
        Chase and Avie marched through the living room and kitchen to the back of the single-level ranch. As they trod down the stairs, Chase whispered to Avie,, “Is Donna Blank a lesbian? She looks kinda dykey with that short, spikey hair.”
        “I don’t think so,” said Avie. “She’s the Phantom Jungle Girl. Clarissa says she’s very straight.”
        “The Phantom Jungle Girl,” said Chase. “Maybe she’ll pose for me.”
        When they both got to the foot of the steps, Avie punched him in the shoulder.

“Thanks, Donna,” said Clarissa. “I hope you don’t regret it. He can be a bit of a pest.”
        “Don’t mention it,” said Donna. “After Cowboy Gorilla, I’m used to handling wild males.”
        She looked down at Dr. Sax, who sat in the middle of the carpeted living room, staring up at Donna with piercing green eyes.
        “Besides, he’s outnumbered, two to one,” said Donna. “Dr. Sax sure does get around.”
        “I meant to tell you,” said Clarissa. “You’ll never believe who dropped her off at our apartment—our red Ferrari. Actually, I didn’t see it myself, but Avie did. Equipped with a cloaking device and everything.”
        Donna looked quizzically between Clarissa and the cat.
        “That’s interesting,” said Donna. “What’s Dr. Sax doing with our friend from the future?” She stared down into the black cat’s green eyes.
        “I kinda wish she could talk, like Kozmik Kat,” said Clarissa. “Never thought I’d hear myself say that.”

Next: Telegraph Road
First Chapter | All Chapters | Latest Chapter

Archival Images:

Dr. Sax, the Meddler, and John Bradford in Bizarre Heroes #8 (Fiasco Comics Inc., December 1994).

Dr. Sax, the Meddler, and John Bradford in Bizarre Heroes #8 (Fiasco Comics Inc., December 1994).

Dr. Sax, the Meddler, and John Bradford in Bizarre Heroes #8 (Fiasco Comics Inc., December 1994).

Dr. Sax, the Meddler, and John Bradford in Bizarre Heroes #8 (Fiasco Comics Inc., December 1994).

Dr. Sax, the Meddler, and John Bradford in Bizarre Heroes #8 (Fiasco Comics Inc., December 1994).

If you’re on Facebook, please consider joining the Ms. Megaton Man™ Maxi-Series Prose Readers group! See exclusive artwork, read advance previews, and enjoy other special stuff.
___________
All characters, character names, likenesses, words and pictures on this page are ™ and © Don Simpson 2022, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment