Monday, June 16, 2014

UPATED: Sky People of the Near Future!

Here's another splash page developed from a sketchbook drawing. Like several pieces on this blog and my other blogs, a particular doodle suggests a scene that I have wanted to develop further, sometimes years later. In this case, a group of megaheroes in the near future assemble on a rooftop. It was one of those images I would return to and say, "I ought to do something with this," at least more than just leave it undeveloped and unused in a sketchbook. Recently, I thought of adding Ms. Megaton Man to the scene, who is visiting the future for the first time. I am currently devising a storyline around this scenario that ties up some loose ends from Megaton Man #3, believe it or not.

Here is the original sketch page from fall 2011. At this point the characters are somewhat amorphous, although the guy in the beetle-wing costume seems distinctive (and suggestive).
Here I've scanned the page, blown it up to 11" x 17", and added a strip of drawing paper along the left edge to accommodate an expanded image. I have also penciled in dialogue for the scene and given the characters provisional names. The female character on the rooftop is now a slightly older version of Paleo Girl. I will need to reconcile the names and correct the lettering, since here I have dubbed her Feral Girl; I will also have to change Susie to Jeanie, to make it consistent with Megaton Man #3. I've also indicated names for the two flying characters:Subspace and Lepidoptera.
This is the final ink version on Clearprint Design Vellum. Inking was completed on June 13, 2014, and lettering corrections were implemented a day later.

No comments:

Post a Comment